Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Name:
Location: Somewhere (not over China)

I grew up in a town with hippies, rednecks, and a reservation. My daddy was a cowboy and my mother was a Baptist. Thus, my life experiences molded me to be slightly off center at all times...sometimes right, sometimes left.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Fins

Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and your the only bait in town.

I read all the shark attack stories this morning. I read somewhere that there are an average of 48 shark attacks in Florida every year. Last year there were only 30, probably because of the hurricanes.

It must be a slow news week, because the shark attacks are getting pretty big coverage. I don't remember hearing about 30 shark attacks last year. I suspect that the media only feeds us the more sensational stories. Tornado's are graded from level 1 to level 5, with a 5 being the worst. If they graded shark attacks like that, then they could cover only the level 5 shark attacks...but no, they cover them based on how much or little other news there is on an given day.

I guess Tom Cruise didn't do anything silly today. Or maybe they just decided to give him a break. One thing about it, putting the President's message up against shark attacks in our present society...which one do you think most people paid attention to?

One of my good friend's husband is currently deployed in Iraq. He is in one of the outlying areas (I can't remember where, and couldn't spell it if I did). He is building schools. Real schools, with different classrooms for different ages, a principals office and a teachers lounge. I know that most soldiers in Iraq aren't building schools, but when you hear this man's story it makes you feel pretty good about what he is doing. The people are very grateful, and think it will make a difference for their country.

They don't cover that in the media. After all, in our country, what we have to worry about is suicide bombers and shark attacks. I'm not minimalizing shark attacks...I just think the media is covering the bloodiest, most sensational stories, whatever they are.

Better watch out for those sharks.

You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and your the only girl in town.