Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Name:
Location: Somewhere (not over China)

I grew up in a town with hippies, rednecks, and a reservation. My daddy was a cowboy and my mother was a Baptist. Thus, my life experiences molded me to be slightly off center at all times...sometimes right, sometimes left.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Looking back at my hard luck days

Looking back at my hard luck days
I really do have to laugh
Workin in a dive for twenty six dollars
Spendin it all on draft...

The thing is, those hard luck days are some of my funnest memories. I had a chevette that didn't lock, had a big dent in it and sounded like a rocket ship when I put it into gear. I paid three hundred and fifty dollars for that car and drove it for six years.

My roommate had a rotweiller that she paid five hundred dollars for. My chevette was a hell of a lot smarter than that damn dog.

I might be having a mid-life crisis--I feel so damn responsible! Needing an oil change used to be a financial crisis. Now I'm just too lazy to bother--like right now my inspection tag has been expired for like, a year. I figured it out three months ago, and I intend to rectify the situation at any moment! I guess the rebel is still alive and well somewhere!

I couldn't afford a parking sticker in college, so I just parked in the faculty parking lot right in front of the ag building. I did it every day for a year. The last week of school the meter maid caught on and gave me a couple of tickets. It was still less than a parking sticker. Now my rebellions are not getting a new inspection sticker, or wearing scrubs to work when I know business attire is expected. At least the spirit is willing.

I have some flowers getting ready to bloom and I have no idea what they are. Really, it is very exciting, but I am worried that they will bloom this weekend while I am hanging out at the cabin in New Mexico, and I will miss the blooms. I planted a bunch of perennial flowers, and forgot to keep the box so that I might figure out what the flowers are.

My job is largely computer related, and I often spend six or more hours at the computer every day. Today, I signed in to the computer at four-thirty--and I had a five-thirty meeting. My meeting however, was fun. I got to pick a team to work on a project to save lives (seriously, IHI's 100,000 lives project). Anyway, for my team I picked every strong, vocal, contentious personality that had anything to do with cardiac care that I could think of. And, amazingly, my meeting wasn't a bunch of people nicely agreeing with each other. It was real people pointing out problems, arguing, but all trying to reach solutions. Pretty damn cool.

I think that I'm still a hard luck hero, but it requires some concentration to keep that state of mind!