Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Name:
Location: Somewhere (not over China)

I grew up in a town with hippies, rednecks, and a reservation. My daddy was a cowboy and my mother was a Baptist. Thus, my life experiences molded me to be slightly off center at all times...sometimes right, sometimes left.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Souvenirs of my trip around the sun

No you never see it comin’
Always wind up wonderin’ where it went
Only time will tell if it was time well spent

My computer is working again...not quite right, but a vast improvement. I'm burning backup CD's of all the important stuff while I write this post. I may scrub the hard drive yet!

Actually, what I'm burning is DVD's. I have a lot of souveniers from my trips around the sun---I have a lot of pictures of places I've been, things I've done.

I got to see Jimmy at the Bowl in Santa Barbara a couple of times--I wanted to go this year but decided to be responsible. One time my friend Carol and I made it from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara for a concert in 71 minutes. I think it is a ninety-mile trip, with multiple curves and towns to get through. It was a fabulous time and we were fortunate not to be jailed for excess speed and reckless driving. I was driving because Carol had already gotten one ticket that day while driving from Modesto to San Luis Obispo for the concert. It speaks to how well I liked Carol that I didn't just leave for the concert without her.

I got on Soutwest from West Texas one Friday afternoon to go to Vegas for a show. Every person getting on the flight was wearing their "flowerdy" shirt in anticipation of the show. When the plane boarded, the pilot welcomed all the Parrotheads--I guess that much was obvious. I went to the concet by myself, but by the time I arrived in Vegas I had plenty of local Parrothead friends.

I have a jar of seashells that I picked up when I went to West Palm Beach. My godsons take them out and look at them sometimes.

My bedroom is decorated with colorful masks that I have acquired on trips to Old Mexico. (Out here in west Texas we feel the need to clarify between old Mexico, and New Mexico, a state that Texans feel they own--"if God hadn't wanted us to ski, he wouldn't have given us New Mexico").

I have a lot of rocks and old rusty things that I have picked up here and there. I have plants that I've harvested off of old homesteads and my old house. Most of my furniture is rescued from somewhere. I have some T-shirts from various trips.

My new commercial hanging pot rack was replaced with a meat freezer tray that I rescued from the Old Redwood Bar in Laytonville, California when they tore it down.

My attitude toward souveniers is pretty unique. Most of the articles that I have were in some way rescued and re-used. The rest of my souveniers are the photos that hang on my walls that document my trip around the sun.

It’s another revelation
Celebrating what I should have done
With these souvenirs of my trip around the sun