Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Name:
Location: Somewhere (not over China)

I grew up in a town with hippies, rednecks, and a reservation. My daddy was a cowboy and my mother was a Baptist. Thus, my life experiences molded me to be slightly off center at all times...sometimes right, sometimes left.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Take Another Road...

Take another road to a hiding place
Disappear without a trace
Take another road in another time

That is the song running through my head today. I'm not looking for a hiding place, or looking to disappear, I just like the idea of taking another road.

I've spent lots of time driving around the states--mostly the western states. Over time I developed a strange habit. No matter what the starting place for a trip was, or where the ending was supposed to be, I felt compelled to always take another road. I keep an atlas, and whenever I drive a stretch of road, I highlight it in the atlas. Once a road has been highlighted, I try not to travel down that same stretch again.

It is not that I have anything against going down the same road, it is more the idea that there are still roads that I haven't been down yet. There are certainly roads that I could travel over and over (and a few that I have been over a lot--like the back road from Phoenix to Tucson during the cactus bloom and the River Road at the Big Bend), but I am entranced by what I might find on a road I haven't been on yet. Like the time I went way off track to make sure that I didn't go on any already traveled roads to Montana. I had a couple of goals; I wanted to go to Mt. Rushmore as an adult, and to go to Ringling (the Jimmy thing kicking in).

It ended up taking about a week to get to western Montana (my end destination), when it should have taken three days. However, I ended up in Sturgis for the motorcycle rally, found Devils Tower in Wyoming, quite by accident, and saw ancient and amazing things along the way.

FYI, if you ever wander into Ringling as a total stranger, the first question that they will ask you at the bar/cafe/post office (all in one building) is, "you must be a Buffett fan." And, yes they have Jimmy on the Jukebox.