Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Name:
Location: Somewhere (not over China)

I grew up in a town with hippies, rednecks, and a reservation. My daddy was a cowboy and my mother was a Baptist. Thus, my life experiences molded me to be slightly off center at all times...sometimes right, sometimes left.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Permanent Reminder

Permanent reminder of a temporary feeling
Amnesic episodes that never go away.
It's no complex momento, it's no subtle revealing.

I'm not going to tell you what my real name is. Gypsy Cowgirl fits me just fine. Lets just say that my name is a staid, plain 1950's name. My father picked it out. My father used to be pretty creative and fun (he's getting grouchy as he gets old), and it has always amazed me that he picked out such a boring name.

When I was six years old I wanted to change my name to Susan. Now that's an exciting name. I'm not saying I had good taste, I'm just saying that I wanted to be Susan. I complained enough about my name that my mother told me how I came to have my name.

My dad was working days as an x-ray tech and ranching in the evenings. He took pictures of a little girl with some kind of leukemia that had my name, and decided that I should be named after her.

I was born on the first day of winter in a blizzard in Montana. It was the type of blizzard where my dad dropped my mom off at the hospital three days before I was due. I arrived only a few hours late--the first day of winter. My mom decided my name should be Winter. (It was 1965, and this is the only thing my mother has ever told me that indicates that she was even alive in the 1960's). Winter wouldn't have been too bad--in California in the 70's I went to school with brothers named Forest, Harvest and Timber. There was River, Tree, and a few other names that weren't really names. As Winter I would have fit right in.

Anyway, when she informed my father of the name, some conflict ensued. My father has always felt that a name should be a real name. Thus, I got my boring 1950's name.

Either way, it is a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling, and it wasn't even my feeling!

Just a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.